Beauty may only be skin-deep, but that doesn’t mean that you should give up on having beautiful and healthy skin. Aloe Vera is a wonder plant, which has long been used in traditional medicine for a variety of health and beauty purposes. Here are some ways to use aloe vera for healthy and beautiful skin.
From the ancient Greeks and Egyptians to the time-honored therapies of India, China and even Mexico, aloe vera is prominently visible everywhere.
The plant itself is a pea-green succulent with triangular leaves that contains an almost miraculous gel within.
Aloe vera gel is especially beneficial for the skin as it can be used for skin lightening, to clear up suntan and to treat wrinkles, dark circles alongside acne, acne scars, dry skin and eyes, and even first to second degree burns.
Classical beauties of the ancient world like Nefertiti and Cleopatra used aloe vera in their daily beauty regimes. The gel contains vitamins A, C and E along with natural enzymes and minerals that give you beautiful, scar-free, glowing skin with regular application.
Given below are some DIY recipes to use aloe vera for radiant and dewy-looking skin:
Aloe Vera Gel
The best method is to extract the gel directly from the plant and apply it on your skin allowing it to soak up all the healing and beneficial nutrients.
How to Extract and Make your own Aloe Vera Gel
- Take 3-4 healthy aloe vera leaves.
- Cut off the bottom parts that produce a yellowish liquid; use only the clear gel free of toxins.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the serrated edges.
- Slice through the gel inside the leaves to split the leaves.
- Use a spoon or knife to scoop out the clear gel from both sides into a blender.
- Empty two 400 mg Vitamin E capsules into the blender.
- Add two 500 mg Vitamin C tablets; vitamin E & C act as natural preservatives.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- You can also add 1-2 tablespoons of rosewater to counter the grassy scent of aloe vera.
- Blend on low setting for a few seconds.
- Store and refrigerate in a glass air-tight container.
Note: Do not blend on high or for too long as it will make the gel watery.
Apply this homemade gel directly on your skin to treat acne, dark spots, scars and burns.
Or you can use aloe vera gel to make face packs for a variety of purposes:
To Treat Acne
Aloe vera contains natural amino acids including salicylic acid which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Aloe vera is one of the most effective remedies for acne and has little or no side-effects.
Lemon juice also helps to clear up your acne and dark spots, while honey keeps your skin well-moisturized and its antibacterial properties prevent further breakouts.
How to make Aloe Vera Pack with Lemon & Honey
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Add ½ teaspoon of fresh, lemon juice.
- Add ½ teaspoon of raw honey.
- Mix well.
- Apply over your face and neck or any other skin areas with acne.
- Keep it on for 20-30 mins and then wash off with cool water.
- Gently pat dry your skin with a soft towel.
Apply this every alternate day to clear your acne.
In case of severe or cystic acne, you can also add 3-4 drops of tea tree essential oil to 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and apply this over the affected areas for 10-15 mins. Do this twice a week for serious breakouts.
To Remove Dark Spots and Scars
Aloe vera is also highly beneficial for removing dark spots and acne scars.
Tomato is a natural bleaching agent, and also helps to lighten your skin.
How to Make Aloe Vera and Tomato Paste for Dark Spots/ Scars
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a bowl.
- Take the grated pulp of ½ a tomato.
- Mix well.
- Apply over the affected areas.
- Leave the paste on for 15-20 mins.
- Rinse with cold water and dry gently with a soft towel.
- Apply twice or thrice a week and you will see visible results within 1 month.
For Stretch Marks
As mentioned before aloe vera boosts the production of collagen and elastin in your skin, increasing its elasticity and stretching capacity.
This property also makes aloe vera great remedy for stretch marks.
- Take the prepared aloe vera gel containing Vitamins E and C and apply it over your stretch marks.
- Spend 5-10 mins rubbing it into your body as the heat generated will enable better absorption of the gel into your skin.
- Do this twice daily, once in the morning and then again at night.
- You will see visible results after within 1-2 months of regular application.
To Remove a Suntan
The skin healing properties of aloe vera make it a highly effective remedy for lightening the pigmentation on your skin.
This creamy mask also takes full benefit of the skin bleaching properties of lemon and curd, along with the cooling quality of cucumber.
How to Make an Aloe Vera Mask with Lemon, Curd and Cucumber
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel in a glass bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh cucumber paste.
- Take 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Also add 1 tablespoon of curd.
- Whisk all the ingredients together to form a creamy mask.
- Apply this over your sun-tanned skin.
- Leave it on for 30 mins and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Use within 30 days.
Watch this video which shows how you can prepare aloe vera remedy to remove sun tan.
For Under-Eye Wrinkles and Dark Circles
Applying aloe vera gel on the skin around your before going to bed can work wonders for your eyes, especially if you have under eye wrinkles and dark circles.
Aloe vera gel moisturizes the skin around your eyes, making it elastic and supple. Its hydrating and antibacterial properties make it an excellent remedy for itchy eyes.
Since, aloe vera gel reduces pigmentation; regular application can also be used to get rid of dark circles.
- Just apply aloe vera gel around your eyes and leave it on for the night.
- Wash it off in the morning with cold water and repeat daily.
You will see visible results in 3-4 weeks.
What other uses do you have for aloe vera? I am always open to new ideas and would love to hear from you!